9.25.2012

real simple...


"Make your home as comfortable and attractive as possible and then get on with living. There's more to life than decorating." -Albert Hadley 

I read these words in the latest edition of my fav magazine, Real Simple...It's somewhat contrary to their work because they love to talk about decorating, changing things up, cost conscience decorating tips, transforming space and fabulous finds. So I was surprised when I read this on their thoughts page at the very front of each issue. This is one of my most favorite parts of the whole magazine. I love reading the quote or thought they share that sets the tone for their whole issue. Now my two sisters, E & J might disagree with me here, well I'm almost 100% positive they disagree with me on this, so sorry E & J, this is one area where we differ. I don't like changing my decor, oh wow, there I said it out-loud, insert gasp from women everywhere who've jumped on the pin board, weekly redecorating fad. I like to complete a project and be done with it. At times I will add something in to spruce things up, but the idea of repainting, moving furniture and recreating a room makes me cringe. I was not always like this, I realized this was my new self when I became totally uninterested in decorating my son's big boy room. I was like seriously, I already did one room for him, why does he need another one. I was over it. I put all my energy into doing his nursery and was completely creatively worn out. I think parenting does that to you. On a daily basis something of mine is broken, most recently it was several nice picture frames. There's been numerous attempts at breaking my favorite bird candle from a bff as well as attempts at eating my pillar candles, ripping apart my display magazines, family albums or houseplants and playing toss with my decorative balls. I mean I even have a blanket on my fireplace so my littlest man doesn't bust his head open while learning to walk, talk about serious style...the blanket covering look is to die for. Now don't get me wrong, I like holiday decorating and redoing plants for each season, that's therapeutic for me, but redecorating just because...nope, no more for this momma. I just don't have the energy, I would rather get on with my living, sit my butt down with a big ole glass of wine, cuddle up on my couch thats missing almost all the covered buttons, that may or may not have recent marker stains on it, with my blanket thats leaking feathers by the minute, all while my ducted tape family picture frame is in view bc I refuse to buy yet another frame for my 15 month old to throw on the ground just for kicks and simply watch my favorite show. Yes, my friends, my stuff is tired, my color palette might not change for quite some time, but you know what, I'm okay with it and that is something I never thought I'd say. Man, does parenthood change us...
-B

I would like to thank E & J for the generous use of their not needed decorative items, ie beautiful drapes, chandelier shades, painted art by E and various other things that do spruce things up around here! 

4 comments:

  1. I am with you, Beth! The most I like to change around is rearranging small pieces of furniture or throwing different pillows on the sofa. This is why I typically stick to traditional decorating with a little something extra like a modern pillow or light fixture....not too many trendy pieces around the Gaymon household. Glad you are embracing and enjoying what makes happy...even if it is different from your sweet sisters. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, beth, you make me smile. I love that I can picture that couch, the blanket covered fireplace, and that album that seems to have a magnetic force attached to your littlest one. haha!
    I so look forward to sitting on that VERY COMFY couch again soon. and next time, we need to add a glass of wine to our chats. deal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up! loved reading this post and love knowing that i know you inside and out. you do a great job "decorating" your home- it feels like you and it so welcoming, comfy, and always clean :) love you sooo much!

    ReplyDelete

we'd love to hear from you. let us know what you fancy, because we fancy you!