12.05.2011

heavy...

In a few short hours one night last week I received great news of celebration; long awaited pregnancies after struggles with infertility, the excitement of engagement and clearly answered prayers. In a few short hours I also received news of great sadness and concern, friends dealing with serious health struggles and one families heartbreaking tragedy. Its amazing how one night can be filled with such different emotion, rejoicing followed by tears. I found my heart growing heavy as I thought of the families struggling to hang on to whatever hope they have left but at the same time my heart was filled with thankfulness for friends answered prayers and excitement for the coming year.

I found myself thinking a great deal about these well known passages in Job, Lamentations & Habakkuk...

"At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh..."

"Though the fig tree does not bug and there are no grapes on the vines, thought the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights."

I read these passages trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense, seeking comfort and encouragement from God's word, hoping that He will reveal His truth as to why families must suffer while others rejoice, why my 21 year old brother has to watch his friend mourn at such a young age, why some women become pregnant with such ease while others ache for the plus sign to show up, why some couples have wonderful happy marriages while other couples struggle to get a long, why some people have plenty and others are left constantly in want...in all this thinking and questioning, the only thing I am certain of is that God is present and in control. He is with those who are suffering and with those who are rejoicing. These earthly questions will never be answered until we see Him face to face, so all we can do is take comfort in His Presence and His promise of ultimate healing. He doesn't promise that it will be easy, but He does promise to never leave us. And in times of heaviness and in times of happiness He is here...

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” -John 16:33

"The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them, he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." -Psalm 34:17-18

I am taking heart today as I think of those suffering and burying those they love-B


No comments:

Post a Comment

we'd love to hear from you. let us know what you fancy, because we fancy you!