How do we build character in our children? I think about this everyday and make attempts at this everyday, trying to use every correction and discipline moment as an opportunity to build character in a 2.5 year old little boy (my 6 month old has a little ways to go before he starts needing character building exercises). I so desperately want my boys to be men of character and integrity...This is the prayer of my heart!
I read this post and it greatly encouraged me and gave wonderful truth to assist in this journey of character building...
Faithfully build character into your children every chance you get:
1. Nurture a healthy love and fear of the Lord into their hearts.
2.Teach them the character qualities of God so they will understand ALL of who He is.
3. Be there for them … praise them, hug them goodnight, kiss them goodbye.
4. Look directly in their eyes when they speak to you. Listen to them.
5. Be humble about your own imperfection, but firmly instill how much you love them.
6. Take care of them in ways that are important, let go of the guilt/pressure to be super parents.
7. Let them fail and take responsibility for it. Love them through it.
8. Teach them to think and reason and make good choices…and model that for them.
9. Let your children see that your marriage and family are a priority.
11. Teach them to show respect, love and concern for others.
12. Model what it means to love your neighbor as yourself.
13. Give them opportunities to practice selfless and sacrificial love for others.
14. Let them shine in how God created them and cheer them on.
15. Challenge them to be who God created them to be even when its hard work to get there.
16. Inspire them for what is possible with God!
17. Pray for them.Pray with them.
18. Remember Who they belong to.
19. When they question your wisdom, remind them Who they need to please, above all others.
20. Remind them often that being their mom is one of the highest God-given privileges and honors of your life.
I pray that we will all see the rewards of our labor and the joy of watching our kids grow up to be Godly young men and women of character!
How do you try to build character in your kids?-B
"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."